Benito Juarez Community Academy
1450-1510 W. Cermak Rd.
Chicago, IL 60608
2018 Race Results
2018 Carrera de los Muertos
Join the United Neighborhood Organization (UNO) in promoting health and wellness in our communities through active lifestyles by running/walking and celebrating El Día de los Muertos/Day of the Dead. UNO’s 12th Annual Carrera de los Muertos/Race of the Dead 5k will be held on Saturday, October 27 at 8:00 a.m.
Last year’s race had over 6,000 participants and spectators enjoying one of Chicago’s most culturally rich and vibrant neighborhood.
2018 Race Highlights Include:
- The only 5k race that runs through Pilsen in Chicago
- Overall winners and runners who finish in the top three of their age division will be awarded a decorated one-of-a-kind “sugar” skull
- Runners will be cheered on with entertainment throughout the race course, including live mariachis, traditional folkloric dance groups and Chicago house music DJs
- A post-race party with authentic and delectable Mexican and Latin American food set to music and a traditional Day of the Dead setting
- A large selection of kids activities related to Dia De Los Muertos
- Instant access to your personalized race result via text (more information when you register)
GENERAL INFORMATION FLYER
Deadlines & Fees
UNTIMED – Youth and Adult are sold out!!!
Registration fee ends at 11:45pm for each deadline
What is included with my registration?
La Medalla 2018
Official Carrera/ Race Apparel Information
(Size Chart available in the Frequently Asked Questions Section)
Chicago, IL 60608
Click here for a Map
Pre-Race Packet Pick-Up Dates and times are as follows:
- Sunday, October 21, 2018:12:00 PM to 6:00 PM
- Monday, October 22, 2018: 9:00 AM to 8:30 PM
- Tuesday, October 23, 2018: 9:00 AM to 8:30 PM
Race Day Packet-Pickup
This year in order to speed up race day packet pick-up and get runners to the start line on time, runners will ONLY be able to pick up their RACE BIB on the morning of the race. Runners can then pick up their race shirt AFTER they complete the race.
Before the Run- BIBS Pick-Up ONLY time is as follows:
- Saturday, October 27, 2018: 6:00 AM to 7:45 AM
After the Run- SHIRT Pick-up:
- Saturday, October 27, 2018: 8:30 AM to 11:00 AM
Same location as race bib pick-up any time after completion of the race.
Transportation to the Race
We urge you to use public transportation as street parking is very limited. Please review the information below to find the best public transportation and route for you and your friends and family who will join in cheering you on!
- Pink Line ‘L’ Transit Information 18th Street Stop
- Orange Line ‘L’ Transit Information Ashland Stop
- Rail ‘L’ System Map
- 21 Cermak Bus Information
- 60 Blue Island/26th Bus Information
- 9 Ashland Bus Information
- X9 Ashland Express Bus Information
Or to customize your own route using the Moovit web page, click here:
- How to get to Benito Juarez Community Academy in Chicago by Bus, Chicago ‘L’ or Train
- Water stations will be present at the race start/finish, as well as at the 1.5-mile mark on the course.
- Mile Markers will be visible on the course.
- Make sure to stick around for the post-race festivities and free giveaways.
- Entertainment includes mariachis, traditional folk dancing and house music DJs; there will be musical entertainment along the race route.
- Medical staff will be on hand in case of emergency.
Past Race Results
Top male and female finishers as well as runners who finish in the top three of their age/gender divisions will be awarded an original Carrera de los Muertos Champions Skull.
Champions Skulls will be awarded to the following age/gender divisions: 14 and under, 15-19, 20‑24, 25‑29, 30‑34, 35‑39, 40‑44, 45‑49, 50‑54, 55‑59, 60‑64, 65‑69, 70‑and over.
2016 Race Results – Click here (You can search with your registered name or bib number)
2015 Race Results – Click here (You can search with your registered name or bib number)
2014 Race Results – Click here (You can search with your registered name or bib number)
Frequently Asked Questions
Are dogs allowed in the course?
The only dogs permitted are Service Dogs.
Do I have to register online?
Yes. Registration is available on www.unoraceofthedead.org. Please click here for registration information and prices.
What time is the race?
The race begins at 8:00 a.m.
How old must I be to race?
The 5k is open to all ages.
I registered and now I won’t be able to participate; can I still pick up my bib and goodie bag?
Yes. Please stop by packet pick up to collect your bib and race shirt.
I won’t be able to participate; can I transfer my registration to next year or to another person?
No. We’re sorry, but there are no transfers of registration to another person or the following year. Bibs also cannot be transferred from one individual to another.
Can a friend or family member pickup my packet?
Yes. Please send them to packet pick-up with a copy of your race confirmation.
Are the TEC long-sleeve training UNISEX sizes?
No, the TEC long-sleeve are available in men and women sizes. Please view the
size chart to determine the best size available.
Available sizes for the Race are Small, Medium, Large, XL, and 2XL.
When should I arrive to the course on race day?
It is recommended that all runners arrive at least 30 minutes before the race and to the start line at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the race.
Is there packet pick-up on race day?
Yes. Race-day packet pick-up will take place on race event grounds at 6:30a.m.-7:45 a.m.
What is the color of the TEC long-sleeve training?
The color of the shirt is not unveiled until the month of October. Both the TEC will be the same color and contain the same designs.
What is the difference between Timed and UNtimed Bibs?
A TIMED bib contains a tracker to provide an official running time. An UNtimed bib does not record running time, but allows participation.
Will UNtimed bibs be available?
Yes. The UNtimed registration fee will include an UNtimed bib and a cotton long-sleeve shirt. Please click here for registration and price information.
Can I register on race day?
No, there will be no race day registration available.
Are there aid stations and portable toilets along the course?
There is 1 aid station with Port-a-Potties on race event grounds in the START and FINISH area.
What will be served at the aid stations?
Are baby strollers allowed?
Baby strollers are permitted. Please be considerate and line-up toward the back.
Can participants wear costumes?
YES! Participants are HIGHLY encouraged to dress in their Halloween best. Costume contest will be held during the post-race party.
Is there gear check for runners?
Yes. Gear check will be available race day to all registered participants from 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Gear check bags must be 12 inches by 18 inches or smaller. UNO Race of the Dead 5k is not responsible for lost, damaged or misplaced items. Please have the gear check tab from your bib adhered to your bag prior to entering the gear check lines.
Where can I park?
UNO strongly encourages public transportation to the race. Bus riders can get off on 16th Street and Ashland. Participants who plan to take the CTA Pink Line and get off on 18th Street station and walk over to Addams/Medill Park.
Can I get a refund?
Unfortunately, we will not be able to issue refunds after you have registered for the race.
Do running clubs pay the regular price for participation?
No, if you are the coach/trainer of a running club at an elementary or high school, college, or university please email the email@example.com account, SUBJECT LINE: Running Club